The old village of Wordsley once stood in splendid isolation but nowadays it merges with Kingswinford, Buckpool, Audnam, Coalbournbrook and Amblecote. Wordsley is typical of the settlements in the western fringe of the Black Country in that it features factories, a few cottage industries, terraced houses, corner shops and a few buildings of distinction.
Little remains of the old village green of Wordsley. The Green is still marked on the map however the old landmark pub called 'The Inn On The Green' was demolished to make way for a small housing development. Wordsley Green, which was named after the original 17th century Village Green, offers little insight into Wordsley's earlier settlement pattern. A hideous shopping centre and community centre has destroyed any aesthetic appeal of this part of Wordsley.
Wordsley played an important part in the glass industry because many of the side streets here housed many small workshops and kilns. Today, the variety of buildings in the small streets of Wordsley afford an insight as to how the settlement has developed over the years.
For example, one of the region's most impressive beer bottle collections is located in Rectory Street. Rectory Street was named because it stood almost opposite the driveway to the Rectory which was built in 1837 to the design of Lewis Veulliamy. The street running parallel to Rectory Street, Queen Street, was only named so during the reign of Queen Victoria. It was formerly called Dunbar Street.