The Kingswinford Railway Walk
The railway was built and owned by the Great Western Railway Company. Started in 1912 it was not completed until 1925. It served the rural areas to the west of Dudley and Wolverhampton. There were small stations at Wombourne and Himley.
The line was not very successful. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1932, the line being used for goods traffic only after this date, except for a short period after the D-Day landings in Normandy during World War II when it was used to ferry wounded allied soldiers to various hospitals in the area.
After nationalisation in 1948 the line became part of the Western Region of British Railways. The further decline in traffic throughout the 1950's and early 60's resulted in closure under the Beeching Report. The last train to run on the line was on 24th June 1965.
A journey in photographs along the railway walk from Wall Heath to Wombourne, follow the path of the railway with your mouse and find the "hot spots".
The Kingswinford Railway Walk is managed by South Staffordshire Council's Ranger Service. The walk runs for 5.5 miles from Castlecroft at the northern end to Wall Heath in the south, where it continues on to Pensnett, managed by Dudley MBC.
Free car parking is available at the Old Wombourne Station and at the site of Himley Station. The all weather surface makes it ideal for wheelchairs, pushchairs and family cycling.
The Ranger Service conducts various guided walks along the route throughout the year, for more information contact the Baggeridge Country Park (01902 882605).
Why not combine this with the Kingswinford Canal Walk and plan a circular trip starting from Wall Heath.