Himley Hall, situated between Kingswinford and Wombourne, started life in the 18th century when a medieval manor house on the site belonging to the Earl of Dudley was demolished to make way for a great Palladian mansion. The 180 acres of grounds were designed by Capability Brown to include a great lake fed by a series of waterfalls from a higher chain of smaller pools.
The Hall, owned by the Ward family, received regular royal patronage. In 1934 the Duke and Duchess of Kent honeymooned at Himley and the The Prince of Wales (The Duke of Windsor, later Edward VIII) spent his last weekend at Himley before his abdication.
During WWII the Earl of Dudley made the hall available as a Red Cross Hospital, however when hostilities ceased, the hall was sold to the National Coal Board in 1947 for £45,000. It was jointly bought by Dudley and Wolverhampton Council in 1967 for £135,000 and taken over fully by Dudley MBC in 1988.
Today vistors can enjoy a stroll through the fine park land and a lakeside walk. Tours of the hall are also available.