Church of St. Michael
and All Angels, Himley
The current Himley Church was built in Georgian style in 1763 and was once the family church to Himley Hall, the seat of the Earl of Dudley.
The Earl of Dudley decided to move the original church building to the current location away from the Hall when the congregation numbers began to increase. The site at the junction of the Wolverhampton Road and Himley Road was chosen and the new church was built, it was consecrated on September 28th 1763.
The main door is a good example of 18th Century carpentry. Much of the oak panelling and the rood screen used in the original church were installed in the new church. The Lych Gate, however, was provided by the parishioners to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria.
During the early years of the church the priest was paid by the Earl of Didley. The church is now maintained by the Ecclesiastical Council and since 1946 has been the responsibility of the Swindon Deanery.
In the bell ringing chamber there are stone tablets bearing the names of the people who left money to be distributed to the poor of the parish on St. Thomas' Day. The interest on this money is distributed nowadays.
The old parish register can be seen recording Births, Deaths and Marriages for the year 1660. There is also a register for the years 1702-1763, prior to the move, and subsequent registers from 1763 to the present day.