This ancient rural village of Enville lies midway between the towns of Stourbridge and Bridgnorth. The first known reference to Enville is in the Doomsday Book. The village name has had a variety of spellings such as Envil, Enfield, Enfeild, Enfelt, and Enfeld. This could mean an even or level field, a village within a clearing or a clearing within a wood. The last two explanations are more likely as the village was within the Royal Forest of Wyre and as the original village was almost certainly clustered on a hill around the Church of St. Mary's. Today the village is to one side of the hill and below the church. At the end of the 18th century the Lord of the Manor, the 5th Earl of Stamford, changed the name of the village to Enville.
The Church, dedicated to St Mary, contains many ancient monuments. One of which has two stone figures of Thomas and Anne Grey who died in 1559, and near it, under an arch, lies the figure of a priest. In 1762, a stone coffin, inscribed "Rogerus de Morf" was dug up under the west end and there is an estate in the parish which still retains the name Morfe.
The register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1627. The original registers for the period 1627-1866 and Banns 1824-1897 are now deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1874 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office.
Enville Common c.1960
Enville and the surrounding country are richly endowed with beautiful scenery which can hardley be equalled buy any other part of the Midlands. There are two large commons, Enville Common, which is flanked by a forest of Scotch firs, and Highgate Common, of some 800 acres. To the south are the old sheepwalks, 607 ft up, from which a glorious view can be obtained of the Malvern Hills and the Cotswolds. A very fine golf course has been established in Enville Common.